The juice behind the juice. The heat behind the heat. The Man.
We first met Warren a year and a half ago, at San Diego Comic-Con, 2011. Since then, he has been at the top of our list of “must interview” guests to have on the show.
Now, the Valiant Universe is in full swing, so we talk to Valiant’s Executive Editor, Warren Simons, about what goes in to bringing our favorite comic book universe to life.
This is the interview that we’ve been waiting for, and we hope that you enjoy it as much as we did. It was an absolute treat to listen to Warren talk about Valiant, the work, the care, the love, and the dedication that is going in to these books.
Here’s some of the stuff you can look forward to in this conversation:
- How Warren found himself leaving Marvel, and joining Valiant to run the Editorial Department
- The collaborative “secret suace” that has made Valiant books such high quality.
- How Valiant has hit a “home run” with each of the members of the creative team.
- The process of developing each of the characters from a concept to a title.
- Some teases about a massive collision coming up in the Valiant Universe that will lead to the next title or two.. and, we’ll leave it at that.
- And about that next title, “I bet you don’t know what it is.”
- How an interconnected universe cab develop at Valiant, or “we want more than mere coincidence!”
- After reading Shadowman, we ask, “Is there magic in the Valiant Universe?”
- Is the Valiant Universe a sci-fi universe? A Fantasy universe? Is it a super-hero universe?
- Rai. Ninjak. HARDCorps. Armorines. These words are all spoken tonight.
- Lightning Round questions: How big is Armstrong. How big is Faith.
- Politics in books. Have some of the books been pushing a political outlook too much?
- How comics are like the Miami Marlins
- Who does Warren think would win in the Valiant Thunderdome?
- How about ratings in comics? What does it mean to reach a “PG-13” rating?
Stop reading this and listen to the secret origins of the Valiant Universe right here: